Seed or grain-based bowls have become a staple for anyone looking for a nutrient dense and filling meal that covers all the bases: proteins, carbs, vitamins and minerals.
The concept of the bowl is pretty simple – set your seeds or grains as the base, add any ingredients you like or have on hand over top and toss in a tasty dressing!
We went with a vegetarian bowl with our recipe, that can be easily be made vegan by skipping the poached eggs, and used quinoa and mung beans to fulfil our protein component. Shiitake and oyster mushrooms add an additional “meaty” flavor, while carrots, broccoli and onions add a welcome punch of color and essential vitamins and minerals.
Tie it all together with a zingy honey mustard vinaigrette and you’ve got an easy to prepare meal that great to have on the go or prepare ahead of time for the work week.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 150 g tri-color quinoa
- 150 g mung beans
- 1 red onion
- 250 g shiitake mushrooms
- 250 g oyster mushrooms
- 1 large carrot
- 300 g multicolored cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 avocado
- 4 eggs
- 50 ml olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. mustard
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Himalayan salt
- Soak the mung beans in water the night before
- Using the Zepter Masterpiece Cookware stacking system, add the quinoa and 300 ml of water into a Z-2015 pot. Cover with the grater-lifter and reduction ring and place cut broccoli florets over top to steam
- Cover with lid, turn on induction plate and cook at 120°C. Once the thermocontroller indicates temperature has been reached, lower heat to 90°C
- After 4-5 minutes, remove the broccoli florets. Leave quinoa to cook for an additional 15 minutes
- Add the drained mung beans to a Zepter Z-2020 pot, cover with water and cook at 120° for 5 minutes, then lower temperature to 90°C and cook for an additional 15 minutes
- After cooking, remove from induction plate and let sit for 10 minutes, covered
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and gently fry in the Zepter Quadra Z-Q1918-SC frying pan at 90°C, covered, for about 10 minutes
- Dice the onions, grate the carrots, slice the avocado and quarter the cherry tomatoes
- Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl until combined
- Assemble by placing the quinoa in the bottom of the bowl and arrange the remaining ingredients over top, then add the poached egg
- Dress with the dressing and garnish with microgreens